Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Frontier Ruckus - The Orion Songbook


My personal favorite album of 2008 and probably the most frustratingly overlooked album that I've ever come across. How a band of this caliber can exist and still have "banjo" as a major tag on last.fm is beyond me. Frontier Ruckus are a quartet?quintet?sextet? that hail from Detroit, but play on the premise that they're from the town of Orion, Michigan, a town of frontman Matthew Milia's own making that, judging by this soundtrack, exists in an eternal autumn dusk constructed of timeless memories. The band's bluegrass-tinged folk sound serves as the perfect vehicle for Milia's emotional songwriting. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that his lyrics are better than anything written in the past five years at least. Whatever mood the lyrics are trying to striving for the band matches with pinpoint precision. I can't say enough good things about this.

oreeyun

edit - I think this link has an EP along with it but one of the songs is corrupted so disregard it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment